Full-Time Gardener / Plant Area Assistant Required
We are currently seeking a full-time experienced and practically minded gardener to primarily tend to our Millennium Garden and demonstration vegetable garden and to maintain outside public areas. During our peak season periods you will also be expected to assist our Plant Sales Team.
The normal working hours will be 9am to 5pm Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays. You must be available to work alternate weekends and your shift pattern will be a 6 day / 4 day working week.
During our peak Spring / Summer periods you will be part of the plant sales team where your duties will include plant care and maintenance, providing excellent customer service and dealing with stock replenishment and replacement under the supervision of the Plant Area Manager.
Your main duty, however, will be to develop and maintain our Millennium Garden, using your experience to ensure it is looking at its best during all seasons, the premise being that this is an extension of our “shop floor” i.e. plants grown in the garden can be purchased from our plant area. You will, therefore, need to be fit as there will be plenty of digging and planting together with some landscaping work as part of this role.
You will also be responsible for our demonstration vegetable garden.
Ideally you will also be a practical “handyperson” as, on adverse weather days or when dark you will be required to assist inside the garden centre with maintenance work.
• Good horticultural knowledge and experience, preferably with a horticultural qualification.
• Must be physically fit and capable of undertaking the manual tasks associated with the role e.g. digging, lifting, hedge-cutting etc.
• Be practical and hands-on, ideally with some landscaping & DIY experience.
• Be computer literate as may be required to source & print information and obtain advice
• Good communication skills and have confidence when dealing with customers
• Be a team player but also be able to work on own initiative
• Happy to work outdoors in all weathers
• Previous retail experience would be preferred.
• Must be available to work alternate weekends.
If you are interested in this role then please email your cv together with a brief covering note to: email@example.com